According to a national survey by the CDC, 1 in 8 couples (or 12% of married women) have trouble getting pregnant or sustaining a pregnancy. Many factors can contribute to infertility: delayed motherhood, toxins in the environment, stressful lifestyle and bad lifestyle habits are some of the main ones.
Many couples, who have trouble conceiving, are now turning to Chinese medicine for a safe and effective solution to infertility. Even celebrities, such as Celine Dion and Mariah Carey, have turned to Chinese medicine to help them conceive (See Video Below). Also, the popular television host, Dr. Oz, has also recommended the use of acupuncture for women seeking treatment in fertility.
In addition, there have been numerous studies showing the benefits of using acupuncture for infertility. In 2003, an article, co-authored by Dr. Zev Rosenwalks, Dr. Pak H. Chung, and Dr. Raymond Chang of New York Weill Cornell medical center, was published in an issue of Fertility and Sterility. It provided a summary and found that research supports the use of acupuncture for fertility treatment. The following potential benefits were found in the usage of acupuncture for fertility:
- Increased blood flow to the uterus and therefore uterine wall thickness, an important marker for fertility
- Increased endorphin production, which, in turn, has been shown to effect the release of a gonadotropin-releasing hormone (GnRH), a decapeptide involved in regulating reproduction
- Lower stress hormones responsible for infertility
- Impact on plasma levels of the fertility hormones: follicle-stimulating hormone (FSH), luteinizing hormone (LH), estradiol (E2), and Progesterone (P)
- Normalization of the hypothalamic-pituitary-ovarian axis, a key process in fertility
- A positive effect for women with polycystic ovarian syndrome, a hormonal imbalance present in three percent of adolescents and adults
Many couples have found fertility success through the use of Chinese medicine. It is a safe and effective way to help those having trouble to conceive.